What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great? (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?)

Brett W. McCoy idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Tue Jun 14 15:11:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Jan Weil wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 14.06.2005, 10:36 -0400 schrieb Lee Revell:
>> Who in the hell is this jwz, and why does everyone care what he thinks
>> so much?  Can someone at least post a link to this rant of his?
>
> This one?
>
> jwz - fuck the skull of alsa
>
> <http://jwz.livejournal.com/490051.html>

Hmmm... interesting... still, who is this guy?  I've been using Linux
audio since like 1997, yeah, I ran into a few issues back then (I had a
Turtle Beach San Tropez card), but have used several varieties of SB
through OSS and ALSA, and currently have one machine using SBLive! + ALSA
(my graphics workstation) and another machine using M-Audio 2496 + ALSA +
Jack + realtime patches (my DAW), and audio has always "just worked".  I
build my own kernels and ALSA drivers, so maybe that's it? *shrug*

I've had audio issues on Windows plenty of times also, including one
machine that dual-booted Linux & Windows... Red Hat detected my video and
sound on first installation and everything "just worked" and on Windows
(same machine), I had to install some drivers manually because the
autodetection failed.

Oh well.

-- Brett