[linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

Richard Spindler richard.spindler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 17:09:38 UTC 2005

Hi,

I just wanted to add what I think about the whole issue:

Frist of all, jwz is fundamentally right with one observation:
There is something wrong with the Linux-Audio Situation.

You install the Operating System, you want to listen to some Sound,
and it doesn't work. This is a problem. Period.

I'm well aware that the Linux Operating System is propably the System
with the most potential, the best Software, and above all it's free
Software. The Pieces are all there.

But: They've not been put together well. Apple Computers are not
better because of some magical secret Ingredience, the Keyword is
Integration, they control the hardware, they control the Software,
come on, it's obvious that this Situation is a little simpler than the
incredibly amount of random El-Cheapo Hardware, Linux is expected to
run on.

I'm actually amazed that there is still no premium Linux-Workstation
Integrator that ships well selected Linux-Boxes with a custom
Linux-Distribution that's exactly fitted to the Hardware. That'd be
hard to beat.

Other than that, I'm perfectly optimistic that sooner or later we (the
free software people ;) ) will "beat" every non-free piece of
software, therefore I don't see jwz's rant as a defamation, but as a
challange to make even better Software :)

Have fun
-Richard