What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great? (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?)

ix at replic.net ix at replic.net
Wed Jun 15 10:36:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:50:11AM +0200, Lars Luthman wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 20:52 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 21:16 +0200, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> > > b) an [mplayer/skype] patch-fest to bring them in line with that
> > > strategy using actual source changes (where possible)
> >
> > Skype is closed source and the mplayer developers are a pain in the ass
> > to deal with due to blatant pro-OSS (as in /dev/dsp) bias.  If it were
> > easy these would have been fixed long ago.
>
> Mplayer already has support for a lot of different audio interfaces
> (including ALSA and JACK). I don't know how good or stable it is, but
> I've never had any problems using them.

never worked right here, end up using the arts backend (and jack backend for arts...and alsa backend for jack...). how many chained APIs does one need?

mplayer -ao jack blabla.mp3:
AO: [Jack] Initialising library.
MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: ao2_init
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read