What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great? (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?)

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Thu Jun 16 23:51:19 UTC 2005

>Maybe the timers used aren't precise enough for this.. I don't know.
>Anyone?

coreaudio does dynamic re-sampling of its 'common feed-pool'
ring-buffer for audio i/o, so maybe this delay compensation is
factored in that calculation?

multiple clients with independent sample-rates/bit-formats can be
doing their thing in OSX, a nice and good thing in my opinion (means
you can have very small soundfiles for very small events while also
doing the whole dvd dolby/5.1 thing at the same time) .. and i have
not seen latency issues yet, except for maybe poorly written
USB-audio drivers, here and there .. of course, there are tons of
DAW's on OSX who don't necessarily use CoreAudio extensively yet, but
there are a few OSX-native (not a port) apps that can demonstrate
CoreAudio doing the work (intuem, etc.)

i know its fast for what its doing, this re-sampling business.. at
least on my powerbook .. altivec?  i've got tons of RAM too, though,
maybe thats got at least something to do with it .. ermm, maybe thats
not so technical, but i can say that OSX' approach of the kernel
doing the monkey business around a common API-bound ring-buffer while
all apps are in sync seems to have delivered the goods ..

--

;

Jay Vaughan