What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great? (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Jun 17 18:11:16 UTC 2005

Hallo,
fons adriaensen hat gesagt: // fons adriaensen wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 06:58:18PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > ... like Ardour, which requires Jack instead of working with Arts or
> > Esound.
>
> JACK is not part of any desktop system. It's absolutely neutral in
> this sense, _and_ designed to support 'professional' audio. For a
> tool like Ardour, I don't think there any other choice.

Well, I don't really want to discuss Jack's merits (we all know them).

I just wanted to point out, that one might consider Jack to be a kind
of "pro audio desktop". It does much of the same things for audio,
that Gnome/KDE do for desktops: Provide a common API, abstract
concepts from hardware, let applications work together in convenient
ways, it provides system configuration and session management hooks
(used by things like qjackctl) etc.

If one thinks about Gnome/KDE from the perspective of how we benefit
of Jack, then some of the choices, the G/KDE developers faced and
tried to solve, might become more understandable. They actually are
working on a much bigger problem than we, I guess, let alone because
they have to support many more users.

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "scans" _ http://footils.org/cms/show/41