What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great? (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?)

Benno Senoner sbenno at gardena.net
Sat Jun 18 09:02:06 UTC 2005

I agree with Rui,
arts piped into jack is probably the best solution currently.
And when doing paranoid low latency audio work just kill artsd as Rui said.

I'm not a big user of consumer audio apps (eg mailer that emits
BOING.WAV) but
I guess due to certain apps being KDE centric and some GNOME centric I
guess that
some GNOME apps still require esd running ?

What's the current "coding standard" for consumer audio apps that should
work in both
KDE and GNOME enviroments ? Use ALSA directly, support both artsd/esd etc ?

I hate fragmentation and I think there should be only one audio server
for consumer apps
even if it's decoupled from jack (eg artsd that can output either to
ALSA or to jack)
but the question is who is going to give up their audio server for the
competition.
(eg gnome using arts) or do you think KDE and GNOME will over time agree
to a common
consumer audio server ? (eg this polypaudio)

How does windows handle such stuff ? You simply write MME/WDM audio apps
and
windows applies transparent software mixing to each API ?

cheers,
Benno
http://www.linuxsampler.org