What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great? (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?)

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Sat Jun 18 10:31:18 UTC 2005

Hi,

> > I guess we are in need of some guys who help making JACK
> > ready for the desktop.
>
> If you're on KDE 3.3+, try these Setup/Options on qjackctl:
>
> [X] Execute script on Startup:
>     `artsshell -q terminate`
>
> [X] Execute script after Startup:
>     `artsd -F 4 -S 1024 -a jack -m artsmessage -c drkonqi
> -l 3 -f &`
>
> and optionally, for completeness sake:
>
> [X] Execute script on Shutdown:
>     `artsshell -q terminate`
>
> [X] Execute script after Shutdown:
>     `killall artsd`

well, I have written a small login script which catches the
ALSA ID of my USB card and starts JACK on top of it each time
I login. This is because I use three USB devices and I didn't
manage to index them correctly to make them appear in the
same order each day. I have JACK running as soon as I log in.

> >From then on, enjoy your jackified KDE desktop thru artsd
> > :)

Yeh, it's really cool that arts can work on top of JACK. There
has been a bit of discussion before doing it on bugs.kde.org,
and there also was an entry:

»Yep, GStreamer will output to Jack if you install Jacksink.
aRts can also.«

So the desktop guys can keep any soundserver as long as it is
able to play through JACK.

Best regards

    ce