[linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

fons adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Sat Jun 18 16:22:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 04:06:34PM +0200, Jay Vaughan wrote:

> >I think we can educate users to use a different login for pro-audio
> >work versus their normal desktop. The different logins can use a
> >different audio setup.
>
> what an absolutely horrid solution.  i can't believe its even being
> considered.

You will not have to educate a professional user to do this.
He will do it anayway because it makes sense, even ignoring
the reasons we are debating here.

As a professional user, you may have to give access to your system
to employees, customers, etc. You don't want them messing in your
private things.

As private user, you may give access to you personal things to e.g.
family members, but you don't want them screwing up your professional
work. You may also have confidentiality requirements imposed by your
clients.

So even elementary security provides more than enough reason to keep
the two well separated.

> audio should Just Plain Work, whether it is pro or consumer or
> desktop, or whatever.  these artificial lines are useless.

There are not artificial, but very real. If we want any credibility
in the professional world, we should not confuse the attitudes taken
by 'prosumers' with those of real professionals.

--
FA