[linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

fons adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Sat Jun 18 16:03:22 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 04:04:11PM +0200, Jay Vaughan wrote:

> there should just be 'working audio', whether your app is a desktop
> app, a sound-synth, or a DAW.  why should there be a difference?

Why are the terms 'consumer' and 'professional' used to denote two
different worlds ? Because the requirements, expectations, price
tags, and potential consequences are different for both types of
user. As a professional, I may be inclined to pay some k$ for
something that will enhance my business. As a professional I
may be prepared to work to imposed quality standards, even if
that is less entertaining or practical and requires discipline.
Denying that this difference exists is a postmodern trend, but is
misguided (IMHO).

--
FA