[linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Sat Jun 18 18:12:54 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 07:24:26PM +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:
> Dividing computed audio into a 'professional' and an 'amateur' camp
> only serves to defend obsolete categories and the arbitrary borders
> inbetween.

Sorry Tim, but I'm with Fons :-)

These categories, even though they are not absolute, and overlap, do
indicate real differences in expectations and working methodology.

One of the big differences is whether resampling is acceptable. In some
situations, resampling is totally out of the question, hence the design
of Jack and its "synchronous execution of all clients". But to anyone
else, this imposes unncessary limitations on usability.

As well as the difference between Pro/Amateur there is the
Consumer/Producer divide. To anyone who isnt involved in any kind of
production, Jackd is inappropriate.

Although Jackd could have the features added to it to make it suitable
for Jamie Zawinski, I cant see anyone rushing to do that. Chaining a
desktop server to use Jackd as the backend seems more realistic.

cheers, all
--
Tim Orford