[linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Sat Jun 18 20:13:40 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 08:57:51PM +0200, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> >These categories, even though they are not absolute, and overlap, do
> >indicate real differences in expectations and working methodology.
> >

> this is utterly, 100%, arbitrary.
>
> 'pro' does not mean 'totally different way of doing things', nor does
> 'consumer' mean "the only lazy option".

while it would be nice to have a single server that did everything
completely wonderfully, you cant deny that people are different and
have different needs. In this topic, the use of the words Pro and
Consumer cant usefully be used as anything other than vague shortshorts
for disparate and overlapping classes of user. And i would agree that
the similarities are greater than the differences.

although "pros" have some valuable knowledge, one of the funny things
about them (and i am guilty of this) is that they all think other pros
are like them, which is not remotely true. There are big differences
between pros in different professions, and even within the same
discipline. The differences are not overcomable, and i think you would
be better off trying to analyse and accomodate the differences rather
than underplaying their existance.

I mentioned the example of Sample Rate Conversion.
Do you disagree that this is a subject which separates classes of
people, irrespective of how you label them? Sure, a server can
support both SRC and not, but the fact is that none of them do at
present.

And Jay, I'm not disagreeing with you that it should "just work"
out of the box, and i think it will increasingly, as dmix matures,
and ditros get more familiar with it. While this can only ever be
a "default", and will in many cases not be the ultimate setup,
its a worthy aim, and its good you are pushing this.

regards
--
Tim Orford

(i've been trying to stay out of this thread, and thats definitely it
from me:-))