[linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Sat Jun 18 21:01:23 UTC 2005

[fons adriaensen]

> On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 07:24:26PM +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:
>
>> Dividing computed audio into a 'professional' and an 'amateur' camp
>> only serves to defend obsolete categories and the arbitrary borders
>> inbetween.
>
> I can assure you that from a POV of a paying customer, the difference
> is neither obsolete nor arbitrary. It has little to do with equipment,
> training, skill, or competence. It's all about a different attitude
> taken to the work, and the consequences thereof.

OK, so you say it has little to do with the equipment. So what's the
point in making a difference between a 'professional' and an
'amateur' Linux audio setup again? Policing a pro attitude? ;)

Forgive me the harsh word, but this is all useless BS. I have to admit
I don't care if Linux audio is used by many or none, pro or ama; I
don't care for world domination either. I have the tools I want, now
is the time for me.

But all you out there who want to bring Linux audio to life for
everyone, just put Jack at the heart of it and layer your precious
desktop environments and what have you on top of that; this is your
only sensible option.

Cheers, Tim