What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great? (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?)

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Sat Jun 18 22:22:51 UTC 2005

> This question amounts to "how do I block the device without
> blocking the device".  You can't do this with any OS.

Sorry, this was caused by my bad english skills. I'll try
anew.

Waht I really meant was:

* We all agree that we don't want JACK to use on top of DMIX,
we want JACK to run directly on top of the ALSA driver

* As soon as we run JACK directly on top of the ALSA driver of
a card which cannot do hardware mixing (and many many cards
cannot) the card is blocked by JACK

* If so and we want to achieve straightforwardness for any
audio, regardless if it were bells and whistles of desktop
applications or a softsynth, then all audio output needs to
be passed through JACK

* If so, this means that the optimal solution (5 years ahead)
would be to have JACK running on any distro per default

* We all know that this still needs a lot or work to be done,
but if we would agree that this could be a cool solution then
this would already be a great progress

I do not expect that anyone of us is interested in working on
such a solution. But I want to be able to tell all others
"That's the solution which is known to be the best by all LA*
people".

I try to help that linux can become the best operating system
ever. I personally can perfectly deal with todays audio
software, but it did last a very long time until I was able
to understand the system and to control the system. I'd like
to see future generations simply use all the wonderful free
software we have to offer instead of still struggling with
the audio subsystem a lot as we all did and do.

Best regards

    ce