[linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Sat Jun 18 22:56:18 UTC 2005

> On my laptop, all my audio software I use on stage is
> configured to use an external soundcard (hw:1) because it's
> much better quality,

Frank, are you really talking about our beloved Terratec
Aureon?!?

Just kidding :) .

> whereas all my "desktop" audio
> software (alsaplayer etc.) is configured to use the
> internal soundcard (hw:0), also because hw:1 might not
> always be available.  I never had the feeling that this is
> broken, it's just using each soundcard for what it's
> working best at.

I'd like the following:

* As soon as the USB card is available, use it for all audio
output. I'm at home and I have connected my monitor speakers,
and I also want to hear my ogg files through it instead of my
built in laptop speakers

* as soon as the USB card is not available, use the internal
card, regardless if I start playing ogg files or I start
jack-rack for a quick 6 dirty test because I'm on tour and
want to check something in the train or I just want to show a
friend what cool audio software linux has to offer.

Best regards

    ce