[linux-audio-dev] Re: Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 06:47:58 UTC 2005

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 02:10 +0000, Lachlan Davison wrote:
>

>>So i think the goal really needs to be as Jay said, it just works.
>>

>Agree 100%, but we need to be fully aware that this we are tackling a
>problem that no one has ever solved.  OSX "just works" because Apple
>controls the hardware and has full access to the specs.  And on Windows
>it most certainly does not "just work", if you don't believe me see all
>the horrible hacks (eg forcing a "Standard PC" install to disable ACPI)
>on every Windows audio tuning web site,
>
>We are trying to provide an OSX like experience but support the range of
>hardware that Windows does.  Microsoft has more dollars at its disposal
>than any entity in history, and they have not solved this problem yet.

I personnally think Mac Os X is way over estimated from the easy to use
point of view, but the "just works" problem is real on linux. I used to
advise more people to use linux before if they had any interest, I do it
less often now, because most of them were not satisfied ("you didn't
tell me suspend on ram would not work", etc...), and went back to the
dark side :)

I only do it when I am sure the people are really ready to get their
hands dirty. Then it generally works, because these people are surprised
to find good communities with people ready to help, etc...

Cheers,

David