Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: What Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jun 20 13:31:14 UTC 2005

> In the System Preferences->Sound menu, a user
> can choose the default audio input and audio output
> device.
>
> In the CoreAudio API, this choice becomes the
> current value of kAudioHardwarePropertyDefaultInputDevice
> and kAudioHardwarePropertyDefaultOutputDevice.
>
> Consumer-oriented apps use those Defaults, as
> a rule; content-creation apps usually have their
> own Preferences that let you select the audio
> devices for the app.

ALSA defines a PCM device called "default", which can be reset by the
user in ~/.asoundrc. Consumer-oriented apps are supposed to use
"default" as the device name. Content-creation apps use JACK; JACK has
its own preferences selection mechanism.

> Yes, this takes a lot of work, and is not in the direct
> path of solving pro audio problems.  Just like I've spent
> 5 years on pushing RTP MIDI through the standards
> process because I felt someone had to do it, I think the
> Linux audio API problem only gets solved if someone
> decides to dedicate 5 years of their life to doing it.
> That's how long a systems project takes to have
> an impact on the world.  Good luck.

My 5 years might be just about up :(
Oh wait, I forgot, JACK isn't that old :)

--p