[linux-audio-dev] What parts of Linux audio simply suck ?

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Mon Jun 20 22:32:58 UTC 2005

> I don't have any problem with having number of different
> driver models, especially when number of different ways to
> abstract those exist already.

you're almost right, if /dev/dsp is the thing for you, you
should be allowed to use it.

Unfortunately, for ALSA we have no finally DMIX available, but
as soon as an application accesses /dev/dsp the application
will hang or block the device for other applications,
regardless if you have configured DMIX or not.

AFAIK this is caused by technical reasons, and so I think: Any
application that still uses /dev/dsp  is an application that
sucks.

There are numerous ALSA applicaitons out there, so if you need
example code use the advantage of free software and look into
their code or even C&P.

Not an offend, but a wish.

Best regards

    ce