[linux-audio-dev] What parts of Linux audio simply suck ?

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi
Tue Jun 21 19:58:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 12:27 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

> What in the hell are these newbies doing that they need to edit their
> asound.conf?  It should just work.  I have never had to touch one...

One good example is Delta1010. If you want to have all the 10 channels
divided to devices; 4 analog stereo pairs + s/pdif. M-Audio's Win driver
does the same thing.

Currently OSS can provide meaningful mapping out-of-box. Of course you
can still access the whole bunch at once if you like.

ALSA just presents 12 input channels and 10 output channels. In this
setup it's a bit hard to get XMMS to play to S/PDIF (the last 2
channels). Took me some time to figure this out as this was not
documented, not at least at that time (2-3 years ago). I still don't
know how to map that S/PDIF output to ALSA's OSS emulation /dev/dsp9
where I have it on native OSS.

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi>