[linux-audio-dev] Midi/OSC help

Olivier Guilyardi ml at xung.org
Wed Jun 22 15:18:30 UTC 2005

Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 21:54 -0400, Paul Coccoli wrote:
>

>>The best ALSA MIDI reference I found was http://www.suse.de/~mana/seqdemo.c
>>
>>It's an example client that illustrates how to receive MIDI messages.
>>It should be pretty clear how to add MIDI control after you look at
>>that code.
>>

> I use that one too, but think that the inner switch is perhaps a little
> too simplistic to be fully helpful, with missing velocity, aftertouch,
> pgmchange  and so. After spending some time ploughing through header
> files, my adaption of the switch now looks like this:

Thanks to both of you !

I think I'm gonna set up some capture-style configuration, like :
- you click on Tools/Midi capture
- you move your mouse over some widget (a given track's pitch, for ex)
- you move a knob on your hardware controller
- the knob is assigned to the given widget

I think I'll listen for different kind of events, of course
SND_SEQ_EVENT_CONTROLLER, but also PITCHBEND, NOTEON, NOTEOFF, so that one can
even change settings with a midi drumset or keyboard.

Do you think it's ok if I listen to midi events in glib's main loop ? For
example with g_timeout_add() ? Better spawn a thread ?

--
   og