[linux-audio-dev] Midi/OSC help - Continuous controllers

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jun 22 17:29:09 UTC 2005

>Hmm, let me draw that :
>
>    Mouse/keyboard ---> Gui <------> Controller <-------> Midi <--- hw control
>ler
>                                       Model
>

>I've been using the MVC design in some other project, and maintaining it over
>several years, I realized that it forces me to take some redundant/long paths
>everytime I make a change, exactly like the following : the controller has to
>update the gui when it receives some event from the midi layer.
>
>It's a good thing to separate layers, but what about considering the hw
>controller like another input device, just like the mouse or keyboard ?
>
>See:  Mouse/keyboard/hw controller ----> Gui <----> Engine

and then day, someone says "Can we control this with OSC?" and your
second diagram becomes a curse rather than a blessing.

the people who came up with MVC were not gods, but they were
smart. MVC is the way it is for a reason, or for several reasons.

>I recognize that sticking the midi layer into gtk would forbid to run the app
>headless (you can still switch your monitor off ;-), or do some other ui, with
>curses, etc... But sometime, one prefer to go straight to the point, and anyway
>gtk is portable.

portable to what? OS X ... i think not, at least not for the better
definitions of portable.

--p