[linux-audio-dev] La Marmite

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Fri Jun 24 17:39:20 UTC 2005

Excuse top posting...

I like it.  I feel exactly the same way about the hassle of writing
things.  Sometimes, I have an idea and I just want to concentrate on
getting that implemented.

Currently, I find myself having to deal with three things: jack, alsa
midi and LADSPA.

A few times I've tried to build reusable components, but I get fed up
with the extra work and start hacking half way through.

Thre are more things that I think need to be added to the pot to make
this ideal:

1. Midi (which I've already mentioned)
2. libsndfile
3. secret bunny code

And I'm sure there are a few more.

So, don't give up.  Ask for help and trudge on.  It might take a
while, but it would be worth it.

I'd like to offer my help if it's wanted/needed.

I've tried la marmite and (after messign with the makefiles) and I'm
impressed at what you get out for what you put in.

I don't have huge amounts of time, but I've managed to get myself
into a position that lets me write off a certain amount of messing
with linux audio as "work".

James

On Fri, 24 Jun, 2005 at 10:17AM +0200, nico spake thus:

> Hi, I started last year the project of an small framework for audio apps
> based on JACK and LADSPA. I published it quite a while ago on :
>
> 	http://lamarmite.poivron.org
>
> But I'm now really doubting of the interest of this project and this
> should be THE place to find answers ...
>

> La Marmite is a C++ framework cooked for the development of audio
> applications for GNU/Linux which is based on the will of simplifying the
> combined use of the standard tools JACK and LADSPA. La Marmite is free
> software and published under the GNU Public License.
>
> JACK and LADSPA are two major ingredients from the Linux audio world but
> mixing them together often bury me in long hours of C coding which
> rapidly oxidize my placid humour...
> My idea was to construct a object-oriented environment providing a
> higher level of abstraction and which allows me to concentrate on the
> logic of the application and to achieve my goal faster without having
> neither to bury myself in the inmost depths of the interfaces nor to
> recode over and over the same routines.
>
> Do you feel like ?
>
> La Marmite was designed in order to create same applications, audio
> toys, or autonomous audio modules which be further mixed or combined
> through JACK. But only few things have been realised so far. And it
> might not be well suited for larger scale applications.

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)