[linux-audio-dev] All things LADSPA, your input please

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Tue Jun 28 15:59:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 17:16 +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:
> [Christoph Eckert]
>
> > I enjoy jack-rack with some EQ, chorus and reverb really a
> > great fun when plugging in my acoustic guitar.
> >
> > LADSPAS in ardour are really cool as well as using LADSPAS in
> > synths like ams or om directly (and om does use them
> > excessively).
> >
> > I agree that the GUI interfaces for LADSPAs are sometimes
> > suboptimal, but this is due to the name of LAD_S_PAs.
>
> Yes, simple is nice. However, the API's excessive verbosity and the
> 1.1 kludges sometimes tempt me to expand the S into other, more
> pejorative words.
>
> At least it works reasonably well, and thanks to Steve, Fons, Tom and
> all you unsung heroes out there it has become a meaningful standard.
>
> > Concerning DSSIs I'd like to see some cool ones popping up.
>
> Me too! :) I think we'll be getting there over time though.
>
> Thanks for your input. Any more takers?

Hi Tim!

A few words from a high verbosity synth maker with a few hundred too
many variables.

There is a way out! Yes really, and it is simple.

I propopse: "Virtual Simplified Synthesizers" (VSS?), where the essense
is the grouping of parameters together to produce something that is as
easy and productive as a "Polysix" or "Juno 6".

Looking at the hardware landscape, I see 8+1 sliders combined with 8
knobs is a common feature for midi controller keyboards. Some have more
and a few have slightly less.

The midi standard already have a variation on this theme geared at
adapting a fixed patch to some musical environment.