[linux-audio-dev] Arbitrary bufsizes in plugins requiring power of 2 bufsizes, Was: jack_convolve-0.0.10, libconvolve-0.0.3 released

fons adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Wed Jun 29 21:07:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:20:47PM +0200, Benno Senoner wrote:

> Another very useful feature would be tail extension (combine convolution
> with traditional reverb processing to lighten the CPU load)

I don't think this requires special support from the convolution
engine - it's jsut an application of it.

Suppose you have the start of a reverb response:
(imagine the y-scale is logarithmic)

   |\
   | \
   |  |
   |  |
   |  |

and you feed back the output with the correct gain and delay,
then the result will be a complete exponential decay.

This is too simplistic, and will probably give a 'echo' like
character to the reverb, but that's the principle. It should
be applied to the first part of the reverb 'tail' only, not
the early reflections. But you only need a short convolution.

--
FA