[linux-audio-dev] Re: Any interest in DVD-Audio?

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Mon Mar 7 18:05:48 UTC 2005

>From: Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be>
>>
>> Why not? Flac + open DVD-audio format for N channels.
>
>Do you know any DVD-A player that has a FLAC decoder built in ?
>The DVD-A spec does not allow anything but MLP, or no compression,
>so no manufacturer will ever make such a thing.

If EU wants that other media players should run in Windows,
perhaps EU would look bad the DVD-Audio spec as well.

Whoever designed the spec, it was stupid not to look around for
non-patented/non-proprietary lossless format as an alternative.

We just have to work out the suitable modification/extension to
the spec. How vdix/dvix format ended up to be a standard in DVD
video players? How mp3-discs in CD player? And how the various
copycontrol systems on CDs?

Juhana