[linux-audio-dev] Re: Any interest in DVD-Audio?

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Tue Mar 8 12:29:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 11:22 +0000, Dave Chapman wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by userfriendly.  If you remove MLP and the
> encryption, then I would consider DVD-Audio as havng the potential to be
> very user-friendly.  There is no need to create a new format - just
> "open" an existing one.

The need for a new format is the obvious advantage of FLAC compression.
On the other hand, iff the data fits on a single CD (oh wait, DVD) then
there is no need.

Excuse me my ignorance, but:

 Is the spec open enough to create n-channel masters? Are there consumer
players in existence with more than two channels out? (and here I do not
mean the 5:1 audio from DVD movies.)

> Yes, the official specs are "secret", but so were the DVD-Video specs,

In some parts of the world, this is an infected subject ...

> and that didn't stop the Linux DVD-player authors.  A DVD-A shares many
> of the same concepts (and very similar data structures) to a DVD-V, and
> I've already started to document a fair amount of the structure of a
> DVD-A here:
>
> http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/spec.shtml
>
> A very useful "feature" is that even on encrypted commercial DVD-As, the
> .IFO files are not encrypted - only the .AOB and .VOB files are.
>
> And the recent news about the reverse-engineering of ALAC (and other
> codecs in the past) casts doubt on the fact that MLP will remain
> proprietory forever.

OK!

--

   (