[linux-audio-dev] Re: Any interest in DVD-Audio?

Fons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Sun Mar 13 20:54:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 08:16:14PM +0200, Jussi Laako wrote:

> You can play high quality 5.1 or 2.0 audio from SACD discs.

And do nothing else with then at all. It's a completely closed format.

> And those also play on standard CD players.

Only because the flip side *is* a CD, and without that SACD
wouldn't sell at all. You could do the same with any new format.

> I personally would like to see SACD winning over DVD-A. Because of
> different coding, it also simplifies D/A converters

It doesn't at all. And it complicates all the rest. Any idea of how
to mix, filter, or in general do whatever non-trivial operation
without first going to PCM ? It's possible, but horribly complicated.

> and thus improves sound quality.

Again, that's a myth.

--
FA