[linux-audio-dev] Re: Any interest in DVD-Audio?

Mon Mar 14 19:23:03 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 10:16, Jussi Laako wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 13:29 +0100, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> > Excuse me my ignorance, but:
> >
> >  Is the spec open enough to create n-channel masters? Are there consumer
> > players in existence with more than two channels out? (and here I do not
> > mean the 5:1 audio from DVD movies.)
>
> You can play high quality 5.1 or 2.0 audio from SACD discs. And those
> also play on standard CD players. I personally would like to see SACD
> winning over DVD-A.

I would prefer the opposite. I don't think I will ever have the ability
to burn my music at home into an SACD. The whole thing is designed so
that you cannot do that.

There's a thread in lau about dvd-audio, it would seem that that could
become a possibility (except for one lossless proprietary codec that is
part of the standard, but is optional if I understood correctly).

-- Fernando