[linux-audio-dev] HDCD

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 15 23:32:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 04:57:40 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> All this (depressing) talk of the various encumbered formats competing
> to be the next CD standard reminded me of HDCD.
>
> What's the deal with it?  AFAICT it's another closed thing that we'll
> never be able to support properly.  The only media player that detects
> my HDCDs is WMP of course.

Yep, microsoft bought the rights to HDCD, so its unlikly that we'l see
support on Linux ;)

I borrowed a HDCD from someone, and I have a DAC that can do HDCD
conversion, but to be honest I couldn't tell the difference with it on or
off. I tried playing back the CD data with the waveform inverted so the
HDCD converter didn't spot the embedded data.

The HDCD signalling is in the bottom bit of the PCM data, if you extract
the bottom bit form the CD and rplace it on another track it will make the
lights come on and whatever. Kinda pointless though.

- Steve