[linux-audio-dev] Re: Jack compatible LAME streamers (oddcast, ices2, darkice?)

ben racher bracher at iupui.edu
Fri Mar 18 12:05:51 UTC 2005

So I messed around for a little bit and found something that kinda
works. I was routing alsa-player in ardour (all this with jack of
course), my sound card input also into ardour, mixing the two channels
in ardour, and outputting the master out of ardour into oddcast, which
then sent to icecast server, which I connected to with xmms, which sent
the audio to soundcard output.

And here was the trick. I increased the buffer size in Jack from 1024 to
4096 which consumed far less cpu resources therefore decreasing
ringbufferfull errors from oddcast, and I also used jack.plumbing to do
whatever it does between oddcast and ardour, which kept the stream from
crashing. So now whenever I get the ringbuffer full error, the stream
just jitters as long as the error persists, and seemed to return back to
normal as soon as cpu resources became available again. So... sort of a
solution.

I'm hoping that in actual practice, I'll be able to divide some of these
tasks between multiple machines, probably have oddcast running on its
own machine, and pumping in an audio stream with jack.udp I'll try to go
check on this later today, and will report back if its stable at all.

Pretty impressive though that my g4 1.5ghz could handle all that. All
this would probably work better on an intel system though?

- Ben