[linux-audio-dev] jack and alsa design issue

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Mar 21 03:47:04 UTC 2005

>> >emulate that when using ALSA. Someday, when jack starts itself as
>> >needed (as I understand is planned), I wouldn't need to support ALSA.
>>=20
>> current versions of JACK already do this if the client uses
>> jack_client_open().=20
>
>Do you mean jack_client_new()? Even without JACK_START_SERVER[1]
>defined? 0.99.0?

no, jack_client_open(). its a new API call, designed to deal with the
inadequacies of jack_client_new() without breaking every existing client.

>1. http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/reference/html/jack_8h.html#a1

this covers the current release, not the version in CVS. the version
in CVS is actually better in every way that the current release - we
are anxious to wrap up the remaining details so that a new release can
be made.