[linux-audio-dev] timesetevent alternative

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Fri May 6 21:38:39 UTC 2005

On 5/3/05, Garett Shulman <shulmang at colorado.edu> wrote:
> Hello, About 5 years ago I hacked together a nice midi looper app. The
> only problem is that it was for Windows. Anyway... I'm working towards
> reimplamenting the app in linux. Basically, I have a circular linked
> list of midi events. Each node has the event and the time to the next
> event. In Windows there was a timeSetEvent function. I pass this
> function the time_to_next_event,
> function_to_call_after_time_to_next_event, and
> data_to_pass_to_function. The function_to_call_after_time_to_next_event
> just outputs the event and then calls timeSetEvent with the next nodes
> data. I'm curious as to how others would implament something similar in
> linux. Perhaps as a thread with sleep call? Is there a high resolution
> sleep function? Any ideas? Thanks. -Garett

Are you using the ALSA sequencer API?  If so, I believe it handles
timing for you.  Each event contains a timestamp, so I assume that
when you send an event, the sequencer core dispatches it at the proper
time.  I never tried it though; my apps only receive events.  If
you're not using ALSA, may I ask why?

Can anybody confirm my understanding of the sequencer API?