[linux-audio-dev] Common synthesizer interface -or- microtonal alternative to MIDI?

James McDermott jamesmichaelmcdermott at gmail.com
Sat May 7 11:02:39 UTC 2005

> Editing is not part of the sequencer; it's the job of the relevant
> editor (data context). I won't say this is just my opinion, cause a
> sequencer is not an editor.

If the sequencer and the editor(s) are separate (and, say, communicate
via OSC) it makes it easy for people to use the editor of their choice
(piano-roll, tracker, etc). I also imagine writing things like
search-and-replace functionality, and algorithmic composition tools,
as separate editors in their own right.