[linux-audio-dev] Aeolus and OSC - comments requested

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Thu May 12 16:12:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 05:54:15PM +0200, stefan kersten wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 05:22:43PM +0200, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> > One thing I forgot to mention regarding /addclient : the response
> > to this will include a client ID (integer) that is a required
> > parameter to all polled requests for information, such as e.g.
> > the list of stops. This ID identifies the client on the common
> > server socket (I see no other way to do this with a single socket).
>
> i might be missing something, but why don't you use the
> client network address as a unique identifier? you can use
> recvfrom(2) to extract the return address from a udp packet.

Yes, that would work, thanks for the hint. While this would allow
the server to handle info requests in a stateless way without having
to refer to a list of registered clients, registation would still be
necessary to allow broadcasting asynchronous events to all clients.

Would there be a significant overhead in using recvfrom() and sendto()
instead of having a 'connected' socket for each client ?

--
FA