ZynAddSubFX was: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some new soundfiles on-line

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Sat May 14 08:58:06 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 08:45 +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:

> As for insanity? My belief is that going below 0.3ms latency is
> borderline.

Clarificaton:

The good people across the street at Clavia, who actually do commercial
synthesizers, considers anything but "now" to be slowish. Their sense of
"now" is somewhat below 0.3ms

Untill we get hardware keyboards that measures the impact at rock-bottom
(like a clavinet), there will always be an oily slur between the player
and the loudspeakers. Having the trigger point in mid-space (as for
contemporary keyboards) isn't excactly helpful, and this is also where I
get the 0.3ms approximation from. It simply ain't worth it to go below
that point.

(yet ...)

--

   (