ZynAddSubFX was: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some new soundfiles on-line

Benno Senoner sbenno at gardena.net
Sat May 14 10:25:07 UTC 2005

Florian's pratical experience confirms what I stated in my other message.
My take on the matter is to get a good soundcard with fast DAC/ADC (
2msec round trip AFAIK)
and use something like 64frames latency. 64 frames gives you still
good,reliable  RT performance and does not
push the kernel to the limits nor does the setup part of DSP of dsp
algorithms get bigger than the
actual audio rendering.

eg in a sampler you don't have only to render the audio samples but
check for note events, ramping,
calculate filter coefficients etc which all take some time which could
be bigger than rendering the audio
of N samples for N a very small number (eg N < 4).

cheers,
Benno
http://www.linuxsampler.org