Minimum reasonable latency Was: Re: ZynAddSubFX was: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some new soundfiles on-line

Asbjørn Sæbø asbjs at stud.ntnu.no
Wed May 18 07:14:39 UTC 2005

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 11:58:45AM +0200, Benno Senoner wrote:

> [...] I assume that if you hit a pad with
> the stick the pad first goes down, then the elasticity of the pad
> comes into play , absorb the kintetic energy of the stick, which is
> bounced back and at this point the drumpad starts vibrating
> (albeit for only a short time). Of course you hear the first half cycle
> too, when you push the drumpad down with the stick, but
> the question is what's the time it takes for the drumpad to bounce the
> stick back and start sounding ?

I beg your pardon?

You say that you can "hear the first half cycle", but that the stick
still has to be bounced away before the drumpad will "start sounding"?
Do you mean that this first thing you hear is not a sound?

If the (surface of) the drumpad moves, it produces a sound.  Even if the
stick is still touching it.

Asbjørn