Minimum reasonable latency Was: Re: ZynAddSubFX was: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some new soundfiles on-line

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Wed May 18 22:01:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 13:45 +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 12:48:34PM +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
>
> > There is a rule of thumb regarding when you need a conductor, which is
> > about when the the band exceeds 8 people. It is not the anarchy that
> > naturally evolves, but the distance between the furthermost band members
> > causing the problem.
>
> It's rarely done these days, but in the 19th century it was quite normal
> for a symphonic orchestra to play without a conductor. That's the origin
> of the title 'concert master' for the first violin player.

Ah! But the up/down stroke of a violin player is very visible ...

I guess that the First Violin Player is supposed to give up some of
his/her artistic integrity in order to let their fellow musicians have a
common clue of time?

The visual principle of 'time-clueing' (sp?) is still very much alive;
we have guitarists with spastic guitar-neck movements, head-banging bass
players, drummers doing silent count-ins with crossed sticks ...

--

   (
    )