[linux-audio-dev] ALSA Sequencer API - How to Receive Events?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon May 30 08:39:45 UTC 2005

Sean Don wrote:
> 1) I don't have a hardware sequencer; so, I use
> timidity as an ALSA sequencer, then pmidi a player...
>
> timidity -iA -B8,8 -Os &
> pmidi -p 128:0 <midi file>
>
> 2) That plays fine, but how to tap into the events
> pmidi is sending to 128:0?

The events are sent to Timidity (128:0), not to your program.

And you wouldn't want other programs to be able to intercept events
not directed to them, because those events could contain sensitive
data.  Uh, yeah.  ;-)

Anyway: load snd-seq-dummy, connect a through port to both Timidity
and your program, then play to the through port.

HTH
Clemens