[linux-audio-dev] Mixer controls

fons adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Sun Nov 6 12:49:27 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 10:59:57AM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> My question is really what should I do when the gain_multiplier is 0.0
>
> Do I:
> a) Limit the range of the gain control to 0dB to -40 dB and have a
> separate Mute control.
> b) When the gain control has a gain_multiplier of 0.0, automatically
> activate the Mute control.
> c) Some other method.

On most pro mixing desks the fader will go down to zero gain, *and*
there will be a separate mute button. The mute may have effects beyond
just muting the signal controlled by the fader, .e.g. it could also
switch auxiliary sends or have other effects. On a real pro desk it
will be 'debounced' i.e. do a fast fade in/out.

With some exeptions, most soundcards' mixer controls are not really
meant to be used as a mixing desk, just to set gains and forget.
Many cards will have very coarse gain steps for example, and the
mute function may generate clicks (a sure killer on a pro mixer !).

--
FA