[linux-audio-dev] Re: the big jack bug... > crappy audio on XRUNS

Luis Garrido luisgarr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 16:27:24 UTC 2005

Hi!

I had a similar problem in my laptop when using a USB soundcard
(Edirol UA-25). For me it was not necessarily associated with xruns.

Since ardour doesn't record the noise, I would say that the problem is
not in jack, but in the alsa driver.

It sounded also more like a distortion than noise, since when the
output levels were low the effect was less noticeable.

I found empirically that harddisk writing operations like saving a
file in an application would sometimes make the distortion stop, I'll
be damned if I know why (interrupts?).

Anyway, setting my USB unit to work at 48 kHz made this problem
practically disappear.

HTH,

Luis