[linux-audio-dev] Juno6 GPL sources

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 17:57:58 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, Artemiy Pavlov <artemio at kdemail.net> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I have managed to contact the guy (Sebastian Gottschall,
> brainslayer/at/braincontrol/dot/org) who is converting the UltraMaster Juno6
> synth to windows VST format and I got the original sources from them.
>
> According to his saying, the original authors allowed him to publish the
> sources as GPL so there should be no worrying even though each and every file
> in there contains the old restricting license notice.

The original ultramaster source needed a few small fixes to compile
with a newer g++, but nothing major. The brainslayer-modified VST
sources are hacked beyond repair,in my opinion.

I have my doubts about the original code actually being GPL.  I wish
the ultramaster guys would have released it and their rs-101 as
open-source.  The rs-101 v2 was a really cool program.

> You will find the sources at my web site:
> http://artemio.net/projects/juno6/download/source/juno-1.0.1.tar.bz2
>
> I have made an attempt to build Juno6, but AFAIK it is based on glibc 1.x and
> many C expressions they have are obsolete. But I believe that with some
> little tweaks the code will compile, though I myself won't be able to help.
>
> What I want to ask, is someone interested in resurrecting this nice synthie?
> First step would be to make it compile with the current feature set. Then see
> if it's possible to add ALSA MIDI and audio support, and so on (maybe add
> DSSI too, etc.). I would assist in providing a dedicated web site and hosting
> for it, no probs.

I modified my copy of the sources to work with the ALSA sequencer API.
 It's pretty easy.  It also runs fine with jacklaunch.  I don't have
any interest in maintaining it, but I could send you the ALSA midi
patch.