[linux-audio-dev] Re: Mixer controls

Dan Mills dmills at spamblock.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 19:17:10 UTC 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 04:05, Loki Davison wrote:

> I was just adding my opinion from a very different understanding of
> mixers/mixing. Desk automation vs live dj / turntablist style mixing.
> Check out http://www.ecler.es/download/img_general_hak320.jpg if you
> want a pic of it. Notice the curve adjust knobs on the front, one of
> the interesting points behind me mentioning it. Not that i ever use
> alsa mixer for this kind of thing ;-)
>
> This also explains how i cope without mute groups! 16 inputs would be
> quite confusing, 3 turntables at once + effects is enough to keep me
> quite confused/busy ;-)

Ahh, a DJ desk, right that makes more sense now.

Actually 16 inputs is a small live desk, 40+ is not uncommon, and if you are
working in theatre with lots of radio mics then the mute automation is not
optional!

Probably the finest example of this sort of thing is a Cadac J type or a
DigiCo D5T (Both £150K++, options).

Regards, Dan (And no, I wouldn't use the alsa mixer for this kind of thing
either!).