[linux-audio-dev] LASH and LASH_Terminal client flag problem

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Wed Nov 23 11:55:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:41:35 +1100
Dave Robillard <drobilla at connect.carleton.ca> wrote:

> > This remains though :) So basically apps who save state to files should
> > ignore state files specified on the commandline when in LASH mode,
> > except for those apps that are unable to change the state file selection
> > lateron upon user demand (i.e. little terminal helper tools, that don't
> > have a GUI or other means to load a different state file).
>
> If it's specified on the command line, why save it as a key and/or file?
> Pick one. :)

No, the issue is that the user might very well invoke the client with a
commandline option specifying a file when initially adding it to the
session. Lateron he changes his mind and uses the app's menu to load a
different one. This is all about apps which can _optionally_ specify a
file via commandline (like ermmm, almost every single one) at startup.

Then there's conflicting state info in LASH making the app load the one
state file via commandline first and the other a moment later via the
restore event.

> I can put something in the docs, but it's a bit obvious and/or app
> dependant.  Ignoring some command line arguments is an acceptable
> solution, but so is ignoring the configure key and/or file.

No, ignoring the state file from LASH is IMHO absolutely not an option
as this would then mean the session is not restored in that state which
the user saved it in. I'd say apps should rather ignore their
commandline option when they made a sucessfull LASH connection right at
startup.

Example usecase:

- add seq24 and om/om_gtk to a LASH session. load stuff via the
respective menus of the apps.

- add jamin to the LASH session and specify a setup file on the
commandline

- drats, wrong jamin setup. So user selects a different one from the
menu.

- user hits LASH session save in lash_panel causing ardour to send its
session file to LASH and jamin saves its whole setup file into the LASH
specified dir.

- user closes LASH session

- user restores it at some latter time -> here the jamin setup file
which was stored in the lash dir should be the only one getting opened.
Ignoring the lash data is not really an option. Ignoring the commandline
option in the first place is one.

Regards,
Flo

--