[linux-audio-dev] Re: MVC - multiple CV

fons adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Tue Oct 4 22:08:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 01:41:42PM -0500, Ben Loftis wrote:

> > Interesting. I'll have to go through some mental exercise to convince
> > myself that this will never cause infinite cycles.
>
> The controllers should not send a change back to the M when they are told by
> the M what their value is.

The whole point about Paul's scheme is that he *is* doing exactly that.
And while does seem odd, I will not dismiss the idea without giving it
a full-length meditation :-)

> You'll also want some logic in the M that says "if I receive a change that
> tells me to go to my current value, then don't send updates to anyone".

This should be a rare occurence, so I wonder if it's worth the extra code.
What could be important when the client is a GUI is to limit the number of
updates. Dragging a slider could result in *a lot of* X move events, and it's
probably unwise to try and update the model and all clients for each one.

--
FA