[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] WhySynth DSSI softsynth

Sean Bolton musound at jps.net
Wed Oct 5 23:05:23 UTC 2005

Introducing WhySynth, a DSSI softsynth plugin.

WhySynth, as in 'Y'-synth, the super-sized, frankensteinized,
evolved and mutated, still rather dorky younger sibling of
Xsynth-DSSI.

WhySynth, as in (I sometimes ask), "_why_ am I working on another
softsynth instead of on paying gigs?" (Following my bliss?
Addiction? One last shot at misspent youth?)

WhySynth, as in a mostly-new design featuring:

- 4 oscillators per voice, in your choice of 6 modes (minBLEP,
     wavecycle, asynchronous granular, FM, waveshaper, and noise),

- 2 filters, also in multiple flavors,

- flexible routing and mixdown to stereo output,

- 3 (or is it 6?) LFOs (instrument-wide, per-voice, and multiphase),

- 5 multi-mode envelope generators,

- abundant modulation options,

- and effects (well, Tim Goetze's Versatile plate reverb is all at
     the moment, unless you count the DC-blocker anti-effect).

WhySynth is a work in progress.  Actually, since the kid was born,
progress has slowed to a near-utter standstill, but if I can't
release often, I might as well release early.

Get your tarball, boring screenshot, and html-ized README today at:

   http://home.jps.net/~musound/whysynth.html

then get your butts back to making cool music -- however you define
that.  Cheers,

-Sean