[linux-audio-dev] MVC - multiple CV

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Mon Oct 10 05:34:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-10 at 17:42 +0100, Chris Cannam wrote:
> Dave Robillard wrote:
> > Generally when
> > given the choice I'll choose complexity in the client over complexity
> > in the engine any day.
>
> This is exactly the opposite of what DSSI aims for.  The principle
> (which may or may not be correct) is that the host only has to be
> written once, and a bit of pain in the implementation won't prevent
> people from doing it, whereas the plugin UIs have to be written many
> times by lots of people and should therefore be made simpler at the
> cost of extra complexity in the host.

I don't see the plugin/host split being the same situation as the
engine/UI split at all, really.

If anything, DSSI plugins themselves have the same issue - complexity in
the plugin (engine) vs complexity in the GUI (client).  DSSI just has
the convenience of skirting the issue by making hosts deal with (part
of) it.  Hosts don't have it so easy. :)

I couldn't agree more that complexity belongs in the host over the
plugin though.

-DR-