[linux-audio-dev] file format

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Fri Oct 14 15:01:42 UTC 2005

fons adriaensen <fons.adriaensen at skynet.be> writes:

> The alternative is of course to have separate WAV files and some
> text file for the metadata, and combine all of this into a directory
> that would then be handled as a unit. But I'd prefer to have all
> data in a single file.

WHen I read that sentence, I had to think about Debian packages...
Ever considered using ar?  This way you have one file, no need to craft
any really complicated file format, and your data can be manipulated
using standard tools!

Read man deb on a debian system for inspiration.

An rfc822 style control file could contain your metadata and just
reference the other files in the archive.  Or you could use
XML if you are of the bloaty type :-)
--
CYa,
  Mario