[linux-audio-dev] Re: applying RIAA curves in software

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Tue Oct 25 16:19:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 01:07:33AM +1000, Loki Davison wrote:

> Is there some sane reason for not just using a turntable preamp? The
> phono signal level is quite low and i'm assuming recording it as line
> level and amping in software isn't the nicest or easiest way to do it.
> I really fail to see the positives. I record stuff from vinyl on a
> regular basis, so i can hear my mistakes, as i'm a dj. All
> professionally produced cd's mastered from vinyl (i.e any dj mix cd
> like global underground) are done through normal phono preamps.
> Easiest and best solution i think.

Recording without a preamp into line or mic input seems a bad idea.
A preamp is still needed to 1. get normal levels, 2. present the
correct impedance to the pickup. Mic input have relative low impedance
and will give horrible results, and line in will not be sensitive
enough.

But moving the EQ to after the 'restoration' may be a good idea.

--
FA