[linux-audio-dev] Re: applying RIAA curves in software

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 15:10:40 UTC 2005

> software seems like it would be horrible to me. Buy or borrow a decent
> turntable. A few modern ones can play all three, for instance stuff
> from stanton.  Though don't touch there needles, they are crap.  To

This may be getting too OT so let me know if I need go off-list.

I've been looking at some turntables from Stanton.  How do the DJ tables fair?

Fex. The stanton STR8-100 looks sweet.  It has S-PDIF, phono, and line
outputs and it will play 78's.  I can get a used one off of ebay for
$100 bucks or so.   Most of the other decks I saw are just a bit out
of my range.

That lets me do a flat preamp if I choose to mess with all that, but I
can also just use the S-PDIF or Line with the built in RIAA.  And 78's
without resorting to software correction.

I didn't realize the S/N ratio on turntables was so low.  What would
those who on have messed with this before consider acceptable?

--
Richard A. Smith