[linux-audio-dev] USB-MIDI Transfer rate

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Thu Sep 15 16:12:44 UTC 2005

Hi!

I am currently working on digesting the USB-MIDI Class Definition ...

 http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/midi10.pdf

As I understand, you can have up to 16 USB MidiStreams (MS), each equal
to a physical midi-cable (and each "cable" having 16 virtual
midi-channels.) There is a bandwith limit of one 3-byte midievent/ms
which makes sense given the bandwith of of a physical midi-cable

The MIDI-USB device also have a control channel without any endpoints
(without any physical midi-jacks.) Again only as far as I have
understood; the control channel is not a MidiStream and should therefore
be able to accept a significantly higher transfer rate than the physical
MidiStreams.

Question: How do I determine the max transfer rate for the control
channel (bInterFaceSubClass == 1) as apposed to the physical midi-outs
(bInterFaceSubClass == 3) ?+

This is for setting LEDs partially lid for more than one parameter, by
pulsewidth-modulation over USB-MIDI.

mvh // Jens M Andreasen